Key Smartphone Addiction Statistics for 2020
If you thought that smartphone addiction isn’t a “thing”, the following numbers will prove otherwise.
1. 66% of the population shows signs of nomophobia.
Two out of every three people are addicted to their phones. So, at the very least, you’re bound to know people who fit the profile. If you’re not sure, then keep reading and by the end of the article, you will have a clearer picture.
2. Nomophobia is the People’s Word of 2018.
(Source: Cambridge Dictionary)
Users‘ votes for this word show undoubtedly that smartphone dependency is a real thing in 2018.
3. The average smartphone owner unlocks their phone 150 times a day.
(Source: Internet Trends)
We laugh roughly 15 times a day. And we check our phones ten times more than that.
4. 57% of smartphone users in the US have increased their smartphone during the COVID-19 lockdown.
(Source: Compare Camp)
According to smartphone addiction stats in 2020, more than half of American smartphone users claim that they have increased their screen time by one hour, due to the coronavirus-induced lockdown. This is not far-fetched as many people have little or nothing to do during this period.
Smartphones have become a permanent factor in our daily lives in the last decade. Even now you are probably reading this on a mobile. We take them for granted, but do we stop, even for a second to ask ourselves:
How Often Do I Use My Smartphone?
Cell phone use statistics show that:
5. Users spend on average 2 hours and 51 minutes a day on their smartphones.
In comparison, the quality time people spend with their families amounts to less than 45 minutes a day.
6. 58% of smartphone users don’t go 1 hour without checking their phones.
Of course, younger people find it harder (68% of people of age 18-34) to keep their hands off their smartphone for an hour.
7. Brazilians spend 4 hours and 48 minutes online via a mobile device.
Chinese are second in terms of their mobile phone usage – 3:03 and Americans are third with 2:37.
8. The average user touches their phone 2617 times a day.
10% of users are qualified as “heavy users” – they touch their phone (swipe, tap) 5427 times a day!
9. More than half of smartphone owners never switch off their phone.
(Source: Psychology Today)
10. 71% usually sleep with or next to their mobile phone.
3% of them sleep with their phone in their hand. I will not comment on that.
11. 40% check their phones in the middle of the night.